Erykah Badu is cool. She has a very earthy, retro style - and that's why she's this week's Eye Candy.
Erykah's (born Erica Abi Wright) rise to fame grew from her song career. When I first heard "On & On", I was like "who is this?" It was completely different from anything playing on the radio. I brought her album (that was before ipods and mp3's were mainstream) and fell in love. I wanted to be a Baduist (what some of her followers call themselves) too! Of course, I never mastered how to make my headwraps that large.
She has also ventured into acting, you can find her in such films as: The Cider House Rules and House of D. Her acting skills are pretty good, so I would expect to see more of her on the big screen soon.
Quick Trivia about Erykah
- She's 37 years old
- Known for her large and colorful headwraps
- Changed the spelling of her name from Erica to Erykah because she considered it her "slave" name
- Left Grambling State University to focus on music full time
- Has a child with Andre 3000 (of Outkast)
- Has two children named Seven and Puma (yeah, like the number and the sneaker)
- Is a vegan
Enjoy the eye candy. You can check out more photos here.