Stephen is wearing a pin stripe suit, leather jacket and lipstick in this photo, oh yeah, this was taken in the 1920s... can you say, fab-u-lous!
Stephen Tennant was an British aristocrat best known for his decadent lifestyle and for spending much of his life in bed. When I read about him I often wonder if he really existed, his life just seems like it was written as some flamboyant character from a novel.
Here are a couple facts (and reasons why he's amazing):
- he was a wealthy brit
- wore make up and dyed his hair dusted with gold
- was part of the Bright Young People set
- inspired the character Sebastian Flyte Brideshead Revisited and Cedric Hampton in Love in a Cold Climate
- he would go shopping in tight pink shorts or a tablecloth as a skirt
- it is claimed he lived in his bed for 17 years
- when he gained weight he said, "But I'm beautiful...and the more of me there is the better I like it!"
Read this book review of Serious Pleasures: The Life of Stephen Tennant (1990) by Philip Hoare from the New York Times written by John Waters. I just added it to my to-read list, I know it's going to be a fun read!