Now, a couple facts about me:
- I am a dark skinned black person.
- I'm African American.
- I am a woman.
- I grew up in America and have been socialized to make unconscious preferences, even if they do not serve my best interests.
- As an adult I can spot these "skewed" thoughts and make conscience efforts to redirect my opinions (this is an on-going effort).
- I know if you tell someone they are ugly long enough or promote efforts which leads them to believe they are ugly (unworthy, fat, stupid, etc), they will start to believe it.
- It took me a while to be comfortable in my own skin (this is an on-going effort).
- Topics of race always intrigue me.